Crozes-Hermitage "Les Hauts Granites" 2015

SKU/Code: 
DB9988-15
Product Line: 
Red
Varietal: 
Syrah
Country: 
France
Region: 
Rhône
Farming Type: 
Sustainable
Boutin

100% old Syrah, 40-60 year-old vines from two areas:  the "Hauts Chassis" and south-east of Mauves. There are two distinctive types of soil: 85% a mixture of limestone and iron bearing clay soils, covered in parts with galets and 15% on granite and Loess. Vinified at the estate, our wine comes from grapes manually harvested, de-stemmed and put into tanks with minimum sulphur added. Our fermentations on the skin (3 to 5 weeks) are made at a temperature of 22 / 23°C with soft extractions and a regular work of the lees. After a pneumatic pressure happens the blending of free run wine and press wine. Maturing 18 months, 20% in oak barrel and the other 80% is traditionally matured in a tank.

89 points
"A pure, fresh style, with a nice beam of black cherry and cassis fruit flavors inlaid with gentle tobacco and tar notes. Everything streams nicely through the finish. Drink now through 2018. 750 cases made."
James Molesworth,
Wine Spectator
, October 2016