Suertes del Marquéz, in the D.O. of Valle de la Orotava on the island of Tenerife, is our newest Canary Islands producer. All vines are ungrafted and many of them are over 100 years old. They’re the only producer we know of in the islands who is vinifying by parcel and aging some of their wines in concrete vats. As a result, they’re making the most terroir-expressive and elegant wines that we’ve tasted
from the Islands.
Siete Fuentes is effectively the Joven wine from Suertes del Marquéz. It’s 90% Listán Negro and 10% Tintilla, from three parcels at elevations between 400 and 650 meters and vines ranging from 10 to 100 years old. Fermentation is in stainless steel tanks with all native yeasts. 15% of the wine is whole cluster pressed. 90% of the wine undergoes malolactic fermentation and ages for 12 months in 5700-liter concrete tanks; the remaining 10% ages in 500-liter French oak for 12 months.